Monday, May 15, 2006

 

The Beacon Journal's Long, Slow Slide

Last Tuesday, a day after a high-rise fire in Akron, the Beacon Journal ran the story on B1, the local section.

Okay, I'll grant an Akron apartment building fire is a local story. But I was curious, what was on top of A1?

Giffels was, writing about...discarded suggestions for the new blimp's name. This wasn't a bad column. In fact, it was humorous, it didn't deserve to be on A1, bumping a legitimate local news story to B1.

On Saturday, the day of the Cavaliers thrid game with Detroit, ABJ readers were treated to the moving chronicle of a fingernail biter named LeBron.

If this story had run in the Sports section, I'd write it off as a hometown newspaper's eccentric coverage of it's greatest sports hero. Yet, this ran in the middle column of...A1, just like bad blimp names.

I'm left without a defense to the question: why do you still subscribe? Honestly, I don't know.

Comments:
It all makes sense: I've tried calling the ABJ four times to get a subscription and they won't return my calls...alas!
 
ABC did a stupid montage of Lebron's nail biting before the game Saturday. I think these stories are designed to expand the audience who watches sports by including human interest stories. I hate them.
 
I'll admit that I don't subscribe, but do read a bit on the web, making a point to catch Terry Pluto.
 
You don't think a childhood nervous habit is more newsworthy than our government tracking all of our phone calls??

I was hoping for some quality weekend coverage of the latest gov't move, but alas, it was below the fold leading off the page. No one seems to know about it, but I'm sure they know LeBron bites his nails, and that it's not really a big deal.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?