Friday, June 02, 2006

 

More on the Future of News

I didn’t make it to yesterday’s Akron Roundtable speech on the future of the newspaper business. Laura Rich Fine – Media Analyst for Merrill Lynch spoke about how media markets are changing and how that affects the future of the news gathering industry. Happily the BJ story includes a link to the podcast page on the Roundtable website which I listened to this morning.

The BJ write up is fine, though it kind of feels like the individual points that made a coherent whole in the speech have been excised and laid out on the table, leaving a deconstruction less illuminating than the original. If you have time, I recommend giving the pod a listen.

Some points I really liked didn’t make it into the BJ piece. Among them:

The next speech is June 18 with John Ong, former head of Goodrich. I'll try to make it there. In the meantime, a past speech by Rob Curly, Director of New Media at the Naples Daily News looks intriguing.

Comments:
I do not read the ABJ in general. I scan headlines and read a story here and there. I also wouldn't pay for a Daily newspaper. I have thought to buy a Sunday subscription, but to The New York Times.
I feel I can get the basic news via NPR or Internet but I like the in depth or niche articles in, like, a Sunday edition. I would pay for that b/c I treat it more as a magazine--not as a place to get basic news.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?