Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

Restaurant Review: Arnie’s Steakhouse, Ravenna OH


Arnie’s, as the photo attests, is one of those little roadside places that nine times out of ten, you just zip past without even thinking about. And, in this case, that’s precisely where you would be making your bloomer.

It’s a pretty small place – small bar, and limited seating. Décor can only be described as outdated to past the point of cheesiness. Due to the small size, too many tables have been crammed into the joint. The menu is focused on mostly steak & grilled seafood items, but there’s more variety on the menu that you would expect. Price points range from $10 to a high of around $25 per entrée. I’d guess that the average is in the $16-$18 range.

The food, on the other hand, was very, very good, with minor exceptions noted below. Mrs. Boring had the French Onion soup, which she described as excellent, with a spicy twist that made it stand out from the run-of-the-mill onion soup that’s so common. I started with a salad, which well exceeded the wedge of turning brown iceberg lettuce that seems to be standard in most restaurants. Good stuff, and the made on premises blu cheese dressing was good.

Unfortunately, at this point, Mrs. Boring & I made the reviewer’s faux paux. Both of us ordered the prime rib. That’s a mistake, because a) prime rib is easy, and b) we should have picked different entrees in order to provide a wider test of the menu. However, the beef was very good. Mrs. Boring ordered the side of sliced sweet potatoes, which as good.

Our dining companions for the evening, who I’ll call ‘Chuck’ and ‘Donna’, even though that’s their real names, had the NY Strip, and Broiled Scrod, respectively. The strip came out closer to well done than the ordered medium, so I’d be careful about this when we go back. The scrod was reported as very good.

Both ‘Chuck’ & I had sides of home fries, which were a trifle on the salty side. All were too stuffed for dessert (again, a poor reviewer’s strategy).

Service was very good.

Verdict: I’d definitely go again. We arrived early, so there was no wait, but by the time we left, there was a significant line forming.

On Ohio Rt 14 south of Ravenna, close to West Branch. If you are going on I-76, take the Rt 14 exit north.

Cross posted on The Boring Made Dull

Comments:
I love Arnie's! It's located not far from where I grew up in Rootstown. They always have great food - and are almost always busy. I just wish they were open on Sundays. My boyfriend always laughs when he sees the sign and I tell him how good it is - I haven't had a chance to take him yet, but when I do, boy will he be shocked. Looks or deceiving. Nice to see someone review it in their blog. :-)
 
We agree that the place is easy to pass up until you take the chance and stop. Our dinners were extreamly good and the service was as well. My husband had the NY Strip which he devoured. I had the seafood platter, (cant remember the correct name) and it had the best grilled shrimp I have ever eaten. This is a must try place.
 
I've been going to Arnie's for almost 10 years now. I have never once had a bad experience there. The food is absolutely amazing! The steaks are delicious.
 
Holy cow.I just returned from Arnie's steakhouse.my bill for 2 specials and drinks come to $51.53 out the door.my wife and I went there on our 10th anniversary.we have eaten here more than once,it's my local steak house.15 minutes at the table no service at all.no drinks, nothing.finally our waitress arived.10 min. for our drinks.(part 1)
 
(part 2)Arnie's steakhouse.the table beside us ate and left us in the dust.two boths opened up while we waited and were never asked if we would like to move.did I tell you that we asked for a both and was set down between the waitress' station, hostess desk and the door.very cozy.lobster,steak,chick. parm. all ok.but just that,ok.(part 3)
 
(part 3 Arnie's)I would feel better about the $51.53 if the sevice was good.table of 8 was seated beside us drinks and appetizers in about 5 min..same with the booth that was full when we came in and seated while we waited for salad and drinks.looks like no room for new blood at Arnie's(I am a local to).sorry won't be back @ $51.53 what a bust.tried to tell owner,but was busy cooking.
 
Excellent food - every single time. Filets are done to perfection. French Onion Soup is THE BEST around. My only complaint is that they spray the tables with windex and it spreads everywhere.... GROSS when you are trying to eat. I wish they would use a better cleanser - having that smell and those chemicals spreading everywhere just ruins it...
 
my mom works there but their milkyway pie is the best thing i ever put in my mouth.u missed out bu getting the bleu cheese get balsamic next time or youll br sorry
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?