Wednesday, August 16, 2006

 

Pardon Our Dust

In the previous post, Redhorse promised to take some pics of the demolition in Highland Square at Art in the Square this weekend. As it happens, I found myself in the Square with the digital yesterday and took some pics which I will now share.

This is what's left of Starkle Markle, taken from the sidewalk along West Market. Soon after I took this, a waste oil salvage truck pulled up to empty that big steel tank.
For Summit County Kerry campaign veterans, here's the last of the HQ. For some reason, the labyrinthine steps down to the basement restroom have always stuck in my mind, so it's fitting I now have a photographic memento.

This pile of re-bar is the last of West Hill Library. When I told Prof. W about the demolition, she said that she had been at Angel Falls yesterday morning and the library was still standing. Fast work. Not Trecaso-tears-down-Rivlins fast, but still fast.

Part of the plan is closing the end of Highland Avenue. Here's what that looks like now. The New Urbanists who decry the plan are particularly worried about this part of it. They say it will isolate the business part of the Square from the residential neighborhood, so this is particularly worth watching. I've driven around the Square a few times and the only problem has been me remembering that the damn thing is closed so I head up Casterton instead.

Just a reminder why I love the Square so. Someone has found a cause. A good one, as it happens, but still, only in Highland Square would anyone bother. I wonder if anyone has literally hugged that oak yet.

Comments:
Destruction! Sacred trees! Highland Square!

Yep, it all means there will be some vigil for that tree, forcing the city to make the developers alter plans for the new area.

Sigh, I love it here, I hate it here.
 
I was wondering about all the construction over there.

I'd go to a tree vigil.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?